Saturday, September 22, 2012

I realized from this assignment that I do communicate differently with different groups of people. For example, with my parents or teachers I may speak with a more formal tone, perhaps I am more reserved. Whereas, when I am speaking with young children I use a different tone of voice, more high pitched and cheery and maybe I speak a bit slower. Or if I run into a friend, I have a less formal mode of communication. It is funny how without realizing it, I communicate differently between different age groups. I realize that race, religion, sexual orientation does not change how I communicate, but rather it is the type of relationship I have with the person that determines my communication style. One of the best strategies for communication I have learned during this course is the importance of active listening. I realized that with my family, friends and children I do a lot of talking but not always the best listening. When learning to listen better, I feel a closer connection to others because I feel they can open up and tell me what is going on in their lives. Before this class, when I would of thought of the word "communicate" I would have thought "talking" but now if I hear the word, I would think of the word "listen." 3 Strategies for Improved Communication: 1. Instead of making a statement, learn to ask questions. 2. Don't make assumptions, make sure to get clarity on any misconception 3. Work on listening skills to improve communication.

1 comment:

  1. Shira,
    I also have come to realize that listening is essential for effective communicating. Also, I think it's helpful to tweak my communication style based the other person's personality, more than their culture.

    Thanks for sharing,
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete