Sunday, September 16, 2012

For this assignment I watched the CBS sitcom, "Rules of Engagement" which I have never seen and watched it with the sound turned off. I could see that the show was about relationships and love. I could tell there was some fighting or arguing going on based on the facial expressions. Without any sound I really did not know what was going on until I watched it with the sound turned on. The scene which I knew was an argument of sorts was a wife upset that she believed her husband was homophobic. The show was trying to shed light on homophobia and educate others on the fact that both straight and gay relationships struggle with the same issues. Ironically much of the show was about people misinterpreting communication and the importance of asking questions directly rather than making assumptions. I believe that this lesson is very important because it is easy to make assumptions about what someone is thinking based on their actions alone, but in order to truly understand, we must to learn to ask questions before we assume anything.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Shira:

    I enjoyed reading your post! How ironic is that; the show tied in with the lessons we are learning in class. You chose the right show in that case! lol But that is so true, and I say it all the time now; if you are unclear on something, ask questions! Please don't assume anything because we all know what comes along with that lol. Don't get me wrong, some things are very clear. But it's those things that are not clear that get us in trouble because a lot of confusion comes along with them. Clarity is the key, hands down!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Shira,
    I agree, assumptions can be dangerous. I see this happen among my staff quite often. They misread the actions of each other and instead of approaching the other person to ask questions, they decide to vent to other staff members and it gets blown out of proportion.
    Thanks for sharing!
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Shira, you are right about assumptions. I know when I viewed my TV show for my blog I assume something else was going on in the TV program. Once I listen with the sound, I was wrong and my interpretation changed.

    Thanks for Sharing!
    Andrea Cureton

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Shira!


    I agree with you that questions are needed to obtain clarification and avoid false assumptions. I am one to admit that I am frequently guilty in making assumptions rather than asking questions to obtain clarification. The ineffective habit proved to cause significant communication barriers with those most important to me and unnecessary conflict. My goal throughout this course is to increase my communication \during situations in which clarification is needed.

    ReplyDelete