Saturday, March 17, 2012

International Contacts

As this international contacts  project has evolved, I have gone from studying children in Israel, to studying Bedouin children in the Negev. I studied a project called "Parents as Partners," which "was developed by AJEEC – The Arab-Jewish Center for Equality, Empowerment and Cooperation. It is one of the organization’s first projects to deal with early childhood. It is an informal program for the education and development of young children in Arab Bedouin society that is culturally adapted to the needs of that society and implemented by Arab Bedouin mothers. The project was conducted in unrecognized villages." 
        
So far, I have made contact with the advocacy coordinator of the Coexistence Forum, here is part of what she wrote me, "Hi Shira- First of all, you are now signed up for English updates. I wanted to let you know how happy Haia was to hear you again, and how excited she is that you are still passionate about this cause. I am currently the advocacy coordinator at the Coexistence Forum, so I would be very happy to be in touch with you to see what work can be done from St. Louis. An awareness raising article is a fantastic idea. Please let me know if there is any information that I can help you find. I would suggest checking out this page on our website: http://www.dukium.org/eng/?page_id=866. There are quite a few in depth reports written by the NCF, and others, in recent years. If you explore the website there are many other sources of information and reporting about the situation in the Negev. We also have a brand new facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/NegevCoexistenceForum. One very helpful (and easy!) thing that you can do is like the page and share it with your friends.  Please let me know if you have any more questions." Now that I feel that I am really involved with this cause again, I am excited to start working on an article for the Forum. I have sent an email to Prof. Rabia, a very well-known and respected Bedouin anthropologist, to find out more about Bedouin children. I plan to focus my article on Bedouin children living in the Negev. I am really looking forward to hearing from him and continuing work on this article, I will keep you all updated on my progress!
                                       



I was so excited to hear from my Bedouin Studies Anthropology Professor, Aref Abu Rabia. Here is part of what he wrote, I also sent a picture of myself so he would remember me, since it has been 12 years since I studied abroad at Ben Gurion University in Israel.


Dear Shira,
Good to hear from you, I am very happy to hear news about you. Your picture and your baby are wonderful.
Since that time I travelled to USA for sabbatical year, Skidmore College and St. Thomas University Minnesota.
 
Now I am back in Israel, looking for next time to be there.
 
How are you, hope you are doing very well. Where are you living/studying.
 
Going back to your request:
I am sending you some papers, hope to help you, composing your paper.
We are trying to arrange some support for the education of the young generation, to facilitate there way to the university, and to prevent drop out.
 
Happy very much to hear you
salamat and shalom

Dear Shira,
 
thanks a lot for your message and information.
 
I have looked at your blog and enjoyed reading there.
 
Next Wednesday we have conference about the Bedouin I will send you some material.
 
Keep in touch and have a wonderful weekend.
 
Salamat


4 comments:

  1. Shira,
    I love your pictures, that you for sharing them! What information have you found from "Parents as Patners" that may be helpful for teachers?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, thanks for sharing. I think this is amazing that you are connected so quickly and might be making a positive impact. I look forward to learning more and helping out in any way I can. Facebook is a great tool to get people involved and keep them informed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shira,
    What great progress you are making! I am looking forward to your future posts to see the outcomes. I'm excited you are doing so well with this assignment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW it is so good to read that someone has made contact. Please keep us posted with all the information you get. I was not able to make contact yet and I really want to. It's really funny because at a point I never thoght about early childhood education in other areas. I am looking forward to reading your post.

    ReplyDelete