Saturday, March 31, 2012

Getting to know your Contacts-Part 2

I did hear from the Director of the ICRI, and I was so happy and couldn't believe how quickly I heard back from him regarding the Bedouin community of the Negev, here is what he wrote:


Dear Shira, thank you very much for the request for assistance with Bedouin families in the Negev. In order to proceed with a decision on assisting those communities on children's issues, we will need the following:

A.) A telephone call with you discuss the core issues related to this work. I am happy to have us pay for the call if you will provide a phone number and the best day and time to contact you within the next week or so.
B.) If we are to move forward with a project we must have a letter from a local agency or individuals in the communities to be served, inviting us to collaborate with them on improving conditions for children. Our core values are that we never go where we are not formally invited in.
C.) It should be known to the communities requesting our involvement that we are not a funding agency, but rather a capacity building, program development agency that will partner with the local community to identify and raise outside funds together for the project, if funds are not already identified.
D.) If we are to move forward with the development of a collaborative project, after conducting due diligence and developing a draft summary proposed program plan, that proposed plan will be presented to our Board for review and approval.
E.) Only after our Board reviews and approves the request can a project commence.

I hope that this information clarifies our process. Please provide us with a call in number so that we can complete step A) in our process. I look forward to your reply.

All the best, Ken Jaffe




I am hoping to work with Prof. Abu Rabia and the Negev Coexistence Forum and their Resource Coordinator to try to go forward with this proposal. I feel nervous about this, but I feel like if I can help facilitate the people who can implement a program that will positively impact children, then I have a responsibility to try. I still haven't spoken with Mr. Jaffe, but I spent time studying the website of the ICRI in order to learn more about the projects they have worked on throughout the world. Also, I studied what grants the Negev Coexistence Forum has received such as a grant called "Children of Peace," in order to find out what possibilities exist. The one idea I have had so far is the concept of a huge tent which would basically be a mobile preschool. Perhaps they could get people on the ground to help donate toys, bikes, and markers, pencils and school items and the ICRI could help train teachers or help implement these programs. Also, if a particular location is chosen to house this new tent-preschool, then perhaps we could get some other agencies in Israel to help donate food or clothing items. I also watched some videos on youtube about the life of Bedouin children, and I noticed that the children like to play all the time and have invented their own forms of swing sets, toys and dolls. I also thought about the possibility of having a battery operated cd/tape player and instruments and maybe even a battery operated television set where children would get a chance to watch Sesame Street in Hebrew or Arabic as well as some other educational tools. When I do talk to Mr. Jaffe, I am going to ask him what type of programs could be feasible for this location and environment and also speak with Prof. Abu Rabia about his ideas. The essence of my idea is create a space dedicated to giving Bedouin children access to early childhood education opportunities that may not exist in the area where they live.

5 comments:

  1. WOW! I am amazed and how quickly you are moving on becoming an advocate for those in need. I am inspired by your motivation and ideas. I am also impressed by the level of professionalism from your contact. It is admirable they will not accept any help unless they are formally invited. I think it's great they want to be sure people know where their funds are going before they agree to accept them. I am looking forward to learning more about your process - just think, you may be helping so many children have a brighter future who would not have otherwise had the opportunity. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also amazed and inspired by what you are doing! I really hope that you are able to make your hopes and dreams for these children a reality. I can imagine your nervousness and excitement at the prospects of what could happen. I look forward to hearing more! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you should be very encouraged by the responsiveness of your contact. Congratulations on this first step! I look forward to seeing how your efforts grow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shira,
    This is great!!!!!!!!! I am so excited for you and I can't wait to hear about everything going forward. It is great to see how we can communicate and effect others across the globe. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so great! I am really looking forward to reading your post and finding out more information regarding the children and early childhood program there. What is your next step after calling. I know you are so excited.

    ReplyDelete