Sunday, October 14, 2012

This week you read about the five stages of team development: forming, storming, norming, performing, and adjourning. Consider the adjourning phase for several of the groups in which you have been involved. Think about which aspects of the groups made for the hardest good-bye. Are high-performing groups hardest to leave? Groups with the clearest established norms? Which of the groups that you participated in was hardest to leave? Why? What sorts of closing rituals have you experienced or wish you had experienced? How do you imagine that you will adjourn from the group of colleagues you have formed while working on your master's degree in this program? Why is adjourning an essential stage of teamwork? Some of the hardest goodbyes was when I was a camp counselor and had to say goodbye to my campers on the last night of camp. Sometimes we would all be crying and listening to the song "Leaving on a jet plane." My campers and I would sit outside under the stars and stay up all night sitting in a circle and talked about our favorite memories from the summer. I can honestly say those times were some of the most memorable and emotional times of my life. I imagine that it will be difficult to say goodbye to the colleagues I have met during this Master's program. I feel like we are all growing together on this journey and having a meaningful dialogue has been my favorite part of this class.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Shira:

    Your post was very touching. I am really going miss my colleagues. I agree, the meaningful dialogue has been my favorite part too. I have learned so much from you all and I am thankful to have you all as a part of my life; even if it's just for right now.

    I was part of a summer day camp once and I was a counselor. I honestly did not think that the children liked me. But when it came time for the program to end, I found out that they loved me. It almost brought me to tears. I was 14 years old at the time and I was over the 10 year olds. Man at first, I thought they had lost their minds putting me over these kids who were only 4 yrs younger than me. But now I see that was a compliment. I guess they thought I was mature for my age. So this is another example that shows just how important adjourning is. If it program did not come to an end at some point, I would have never found out that they loved me and respected me the way they did. Thank you so much for sharing. I'm about to go cry now lol j/k.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shira,
    What a wonderful example of adjourning. Being a camp counselor allows you to be part of two or more team- one with the kids and another with other counselors and/or staff. Did you have a moment to reflect with them as well? Thanks for sharing!

    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that good-byes at the completion of camp are experienced with difficulty and sadness for the counselors and children. Although I have never been a camp counselor nor attended a summer camp, the adjourning phase for this circumstance is similar to my adjourning phase experienced with children in my previous employment as a counselor and advocate. At the point in which the client chose to discontinue services or services were no longer necessary, an immediate feeling of disconnect presented itself. A connection and bond developed over the course of the client's services was interrupted upon the adjourning stage

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Shira!

    I have enjoyed reading and responding to your blog posts during this course. You provided insightful experiences and information regarding communication and collaboration within the Early Childhood field. I wish you the best of luck as you continue your educational journey and I hope to speak with you soon in future courses.
    Best Wishes!!!

    ReplyDelete