Sunday, October 7, 2012

Many years I ago I was working in Aspen Colorado as Assistant Director of Education at the Aspen Chapel teaching Hebrew School and Sunday School 45 minutes away from Aspen. At one point in the school year, I could see one of my students was very upset and did not want to participate in class. I made the decision to stop class and ask the boy what was going on and if he wanted to talk. He began by spilling his emotions, talking about his parents upcoming divorce and became very emotional. Suddenly, all the kids began spilling their emotions to me and each other, and it almost became like a group therapy session. In many ways it brought us closer together as a group and made this boy feel like he wasn't alone. Unfortunately, one boy told his mother what had happened and she became livid. She was angry because we had "Wasted the time talking when we should of have been learning." She insisted on sitting in on the classroom and even sent different board directors to "pop" in unannounced to make sure I was actually teaching. To be honest, I am not totally sure how I could have handled the situation differently because I did not believe I did anything wrong. I would like to hear what advice you would have given me in this situation.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Shira!

    That’s a tough situation that you experienced. I agree with you as I too do not believe that you did anything wrong in acknowledging your student’s emotions and offering him the option to speak about those emotions. It is very important for early childhood professional to be in tuned with the emotions and behavior of their students as this is essential in creating relationships based upon trust and open communication, which was clearly exhibited in the reactions received from the other children within the class. I am not quite sure why the mother was upset at this occurrence as I would think parents would appreciate a teacher who is in tuned with children's emotions

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shira,
    This is the best way to slove and provent conflict! I believe it is very important to express how you truly feel the first time because the truth will always come out. It is also important to understand and identify the problem. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Shira,

    Reading your situation I can't see what you could have did differently. Maybe you could have set some time with the young boy after class to give him time to talk and share. I feel that him sharing in front of the class was probally something he should have done because it opended the other kids up and they shared also. I belive that children sharing thier feelings is so much more valueable than a learned lesson. Sometimes sharing helps them to learn better. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete