Friday, August 17, 2012

My hope as an early childhood educator is to help nurture and support the healthy development of young children from diverse backgrounds. One goal I would like to set for the early childhood field related to issues of diversity, equity and social justice is to remain committed to social activist work I began last semester working with Professor Aref Abu Rabia and the Bedouin community. Since last semester we are still working on moving forward with the grant proposal for a Bedouin Ecology Center located in Southern Israel. He asked me to build the website, here it is: http://firdawsalhikma.wix.com/ecologycenter Lastly I would like to thank my colleagues for their positive support throughout this course. I feel very close to you all, especially since we have been delving deep into our social identity and childhood, it has been a very rewarding experience. I would also like to thank Professor Anthony Morgan for his helpful insights in this challenging and rewarding course.

4 comments:

  1. Hello Shira,

    I really think that is amazing that you will be continuing your work with the Bedouin community. Sometimes I think we don't realize what a difference one person can make until we have a little push. It seems the professor has helped direct you into something you have come quite passionate about, and I wish you all the best with your efforts!

    God Bless!
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shira,

    I see that you found your passion for children and are showing it though a continued commitment to social change. I took a look at our site: http://firdawsalhikma.wix.com/ecologycenter. I my favorite part of the web site included the pictures of the plants that would be used in traditional herbal medications.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shira,
    I think you goal of nurturing and supporting young children from diverse backgrounds is great. I also enjoyed checking out the website you are working on, very nice! Good luck as you continue your work in social activism! Hope to be in a class with you again!
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Shira!

    It sounds like you have an excellent start for your goal to remain committed to social activist work through your work with Professor Aref Abu Rabia and the Bedouin Community. Your passion for working with children from diverse backgrounds will reign true through your work. I wish you the best of luck in all your future endeavors!! Hope to chat with you soon!!

    ReplyDelete