Friday, November 4, 2011

The birth of my first child

Although I have experienced childbirth twice, I am going to focus on the birth of my first child. I was 24 years old and living in Miami Beach, when I met their father, I had no idea that he was going to be the father of my children. I was young and enjoying my freedom, I remember it was one of the best times of my life. As my friendship with him became more serious, I moved in with him and we were living as a couple. On the weekends, his daughter came to stay with us or we would take a four hour drive down to the Florida Keys to pick her up. While he was at work, I played the role of step-mother to his five year old daughter. Looking back, I realized that she helped prepare me for the role of motherhood and also at times, the challenges. It was not too long into our relationship that I became pregnant, and not long after I was nearly bedridden with morning sickness. I was working in a private school as a third grade teacher, and made the difficult decision of leaving my job in the middle of the year. From that point on when I stopped working, I remember I spent most of my time in bed watching the show “Baby Story,” reading pregnancy books and eating nonstop. I was obsessed with getting enough fruits and vegetables and protein, I didn't realize you only needed an extra 500 calories a day, I think I must have consumed at lease 1000 or more extra calories a day. Looking back, it is clear I overdid it a bit, I went from 112 pounds to 175 pounds when I actually gave birth. It wasn’t that I was actually sick or on bedrest during my pregnancy, but for some reason, I really felt like I needed to be pampered and I always felt exhausted. Looking back, I guess I was really lucky to have such a relaxing pregnancy. We took classes together at the Miami Beach Maternity center, where I was hoping and dreaming of a water birth.  I was terrified at the thought of painful childbirth, and I was hoping to find the most painless option, and from everything I had read, a water birth seemed to be my best option. Although, after much discussion, I realized that I wanted to be in a hospital where they could take care of my child and I in case of an emergency.
                At week 38 my doctor decided I had gained a bit too much and the baby, he worried, may be getting too big for a natural delivery, so he decided to induce. I was admitted into the hospital at 9 in the evening, and I remember the Jamaican nurse placing the Pitocin drip in my arm, and I sat in bed  watching the show CSI Miami, our Tuesday night ritual. All that night she checked me and kept increasing the pitocin until by morning she reached the maximum amount, but nothing happened, no contractions started, I wasn't dilated and worst of all, my son’s heart rate started to fall steadily.The nurse looked worried and my husband became agitated with the nurse, wanting to know what was going on. At a certain point in the morning she said, “You really don’t feel anything, well, then this isn’t working and she took out the IV. We will have to speak to the doctor.”  By 2:00 pm it was time for an emergency c-section. I remember feeling relieved, of all the Baby Stories I had watched, the c-sections had seemed to be the least painful during the actual childbirth. I also remember being excited to know I would finally meet my son for the first time. By 3:20, my son was born, and I was able to give him a kiss before he went off to the nursery with his father. Soon I was laying behind a curtain in recovery, a nurse was measuring my temperature and told me I could go see my son once the shaking wore off and I had the right temperature. I remember the doctor came to visit and said, “Thank God everything went well and I'm glad I did the c-section because the cord was wrapped tightly around his neck.”  
                The moment I finally met my son was one of the most magical moments I have ever had, I held him in amazement and couldn’t believe he had been inside me all that time.  I will never forget that moment for the rest of my life, it was the greatest feeling of joy and euphoria I have ever felt. It’s hard to think that was almost 8 years ago, it has gone by with a blink. I can’t believe the little baby in my arms is now a second grader, it doesn’t even feel like that much time has passed. Every day truly is a miracle, sometimes I have to remind myself to slow down and appreciate all the special moments that happen everyday. 

5 comments:

  1. Shira,
    It is so nice to see that you and I have another course together. Thank you for sharing your birth experience. It seems as mothers we have to have a plan and most of the time things don’t go as planned but things happen for a reason. From reading your birthing experience I realized it was only right for you to have the C-section because of the situation your son was in. I’m grateful that your child is healthy and growing. I can relate to your amazing feeling of having a child. Indeed I only have had one so far and yes it is an experience that I don’t forget. I too watched the birthing shows on television when I was pregnant with my daughter because it’s kind of nerve racking not knowing how the birth of your child is going to happen. The shows I enjoyed were also “Baby Story” and “Bringing home baby” only because I wanted to see the progress of a newborn child weeks or even months after coming home. Hoping to grasp an insight of how life may change after having a new child. To add to your post what I remembered most is immediately after my daughter was born (she was out she was crying and such) they laid her on my chest and I looked down to see her. I looked into her little brown eyes and she just stopped crying. She became calm. I just started to cry. At that point I was just in amazement that somehow she knew that I was someone that immediately comforted her and that I am her mother. I also thought maybe it could have been my heartbeat that comforted her too. Whatever the comforting factor for my newborn was I knew it was something about bonding with my child.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shira,
    Your story was very interesting to me. I too had morning sickness...major yuck! In reality I had it all day long for the first three months and I remember my friend telling me it was my body's way of protecting me from injesting harmful substances or foods. I thought I should have been given the right to figure that out on my own, and not subjected to morning sickness:) Also, I had to chuckle when you mentioned you were relieved to have a c-section and not go through the pain of childbirth. I felt that way too. We are silly girls, afterall a c-section is major surgery with a longer recovery!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shira-
    I enjoyed reading your son's birthing story! I am always very excited to learn about other people's births and pregnancy's. Your pregnancy was very different from mine. I was fortunate enough because I never experienced morning sickness. In addition, I never watched a pregnancy or birthing show because it always made me nervous when I would hear or read about any horror stories. I remember the one time that I watched a baby birthing show, they showed the woman in so much pain, and the baby had complications so, that really scared me. I tried to remain positive and happy, and hope for the best.
    I have to be honest because it shocked me when you said that you were relieved to have a C-section. I remember that was the one thing that I really felt strongly against. My aunt had had a C-section, and her recovery time afterwards took much longer! Then again, to each is own right?
    The idea of a water birth sounds very different, but I think that I would consider it. I remember that I really wanted to have a mid-wife, but my parents really insisted that I give birth in the hospital.
    Overall, I loved my pregnancy and every minute leading up to my son's birth!!! Now he is three, and it's bitter sweet. I love the idea that he is growing in a healthy, safe way, but it makes me sad to see the little boy whom I used to rock in my arms as a baby!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every pregnancy is unique in it's on way. I am glad that the emergency c-section saved your son from going through a traumatic birthing experience as well as yourself. My sister refused to have a c-section even though she was almost 2 weeks overdue. She insisted that my nephew would come when he was ready. Just like your son the cord was wrapped tightly around his neck. Unlike your son who experienced a less traumatic delivery my nephew was rushed to the nursery and my sister was not allowed to see him for 6 hours after giving birth. Not only had he been blue when born but he spiked a fever because my sister was unable to finish a course of antibiotics prior to delivery for a strep B test that came back positive.

    Giving birth is an experience like no other. Seeing that little person that you grew and nurtured in your belly for all those months. When you finally get to hold them in your arms you forget about how miserable or uncomfortable you may have felt over the past months.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shira,

    I just want thank you for such kind words!!! It is so motivating to feel supported, and you have done such an amazing job!!! To answer your questions:
    I don't think that Baron's birthing experience will change my view on the process other than giving me more insight as to how painful it really is! :) To be honest, we have not decided on if we want to have another baby, time will tell, but if we do, then I hope to have the same mentality as my first one! I may have to move to Europe though because I would really like to have a mid-wife. haha
    Regarding the vacuums, I am not really sure if they are too common. I think the hospital used them as another means to get my baby out without having to perform a c-section, which I was really happy about. I am almost 100 percent positive that physicians try to avoid performing c-sections due to health insurance companies. I think that they can only perform a certain number throughout the year before it begins to look a bit risky, for the hospital and for the physician. It's actually pretty ridiculous, but I also know that hospitals don't like to encourage these types of procedures, especially if they can be avoided, for financial reasons. Think about it, if a woman gives vaginal birth, then the chances of her recovery stay decrease. However, if she has a c-section, her recovery time increases. Obviously, this assumption is free of birth-related complications, but the longer the woman stays, then the longer she, and her baby, take up room! The reasons are kind of awful if you think about it, but I was really happy that I didn't have a c-section so, I guess you could say that it all worked out! haha :)
    Thank you again for your really sweet words!! It meant a lot!!!

    ReplyDelete