Saturday, July 7, 2012

Blog: My Family Culture Imagine the following: A major catastrophe has almost completely devastated the infrastructure of your country. The emergency government has decided that the surviving citizens will be best served if they are evacuated to other countries willing to take refugees. You and your immediate family are among the survivors of this catastrophic event. However, you have absolutely no input into the final destination or in any other evacuation details. You are told that your host country’s culture is completely different from your own, and that you might have to stay there permanently. You are further told that, in addition to one change of clothes, you can only take 3 small items with you. You decide to take three items that you hold dear and that represent your family culture. Blog about all of the following:
My daughter's stuffed animal: Doggie She has had him since she was born and won't go to sleep or anywhere new without "Doggie."
My Family Photo Albums which include pictures of my grandparents, my parent's wedding, my childhood and my children, as well as pictures of friends.
MY Passport In order to prove my identity and birthdate, I would need my passport. I can't imagine how hard it would be to leave everything you know and start from scratch in a new place. At the end of the day, I just need my family and I believe that we could rebuild and with a positive attitude be able to make a bright new future much like the immigrants that move here to start new lives.

3 comments:

  1. I like your choice to take your passport!! That is one item that I didn't consider but makes perfect sense to take into consideration. It never crossed my mind as to how I would prove my identity upon my arrival into my new country. A passport is a very important item to have in order to establish and maintain your identity in your new home. Good Post!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shira,
    I also chose to bring my passport since it proves identity and citizenship, even if we are unable to return. This assignment got me thinking that maybe I should get passports for my children, too- just in case. One could never be too prepared for a catastrophe!!
    Thanks for sharing,
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shira,

    After reading your list, I thought wow I must be the only adult in the United States that has never applied and gotten a passport! I know from expereince that when a catastrophy i.e. Katrina the goverment assignes refuges an id card. Years ago I was told to have all my imortant paperwork copied and placed somewhere safe so in the event of a true emergence finding them would not to a concern.

    Christine

    ReplyDelete