Saturday, May 12, 2012

Personal Research Journey

My topic for the research simulation is: "Teacher's role in promoting peer relationships and providing social skills models to Autistic children." I decided to research this topic because I am interested in the relationships that develop between autistic children. My son with autism has a had a very difficult time making friends. However, between other peers with autism, he has made A few relationships. I am interested in the teacher's role in promoting these relationships. I am interested in research which uses behavioral intervention services to strengthen social relationships and create a sense of "belonging" which is often lacking for Autistic children. In order to promote further development, teachers can play an active role in helping children with autism to create and sustain peer relationships. Urban Child Institute: http://www.theurbanchildinstitute.org/articles/research-to-policy/overviews/peer-relationships-and-play-encourage-healthy-development

2 comments:

  1. What a great research idea. I have understood that autistic children have a difficult time with relationships, but I would suspect that a highly skilled, trained teacher could be very instrumental in developing these relationships. I look forward to hearing more about what you discover!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shira,

    I think it's wonderful that you have been inspired by your son. I don't have any experience with teaching autistic children, but the topic fascinates me based off of what I know. I am looking forward to reading your updates regarding the topic. Good luck!!!

    Thank you,
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete